At the southern end of Church Street sits the historic 1928 McKim, Mead, and White-designed Burlington City Hall building. Committed to keeping most city functions in the downtown building, the City of Burlington wished to reconfigure the office space to improve customer service and increase security for city employees. The first floor was completely renovated, consolidating and reconfiguring various departments with more secure glass entries to office suites. A new large community room creates space for various departments and groups to meet, while a wellness room and lactation space offer modern amenities for city employees. All historic doors and trim were preserved. The installation of acoustical panels throughout the building will help mitigate the reverb from the beautiful marble adorning the halls and stairway. A new lounge space on the third floor takes advantage of two previously closed off arched windows. The project also included a major upgrade to the building’s mechanical system and additional insulation in the attic.